Friday, September 4, 2009

My first 3 weeks as a new teacher has been very interesting and memorable. I have a group of great students and if I can get them and keep them self-motivated I think they will do fantastic!

One of my greatest concerns is how can I self-motivate my students. As soon as I give a homework assignment, or classwork, the first thing that comes out of their mouths are "Is this for a grade?" "How many points is it worth?" They always make this inference so that they can determine if they can take a zero on it and whether or not it will hurt their grade. Their not concerned that it will reinforce and help them understand the material better. Now, I also have students that are going to do their work regardless, they do not care whether it is for a grade or not, these are my over-achievers! I am so happy that I have them. I can also use them to work with other students who are having trouble understanding the material

Today, was also the first time that I had to write up one of my students. It kind of bothered me and I felt bad, but I had given him several warnings about making disruptions in class. He also constantly tries to come behind my desk in my personal space. Finally, I had to stop it, warnings were no longer helping. However, he did come back and apologize to me later and he told me that he was not going to give me any more problems. I hope I do not have to fill out another discipline slip any time soon!

Overall, I think teaching is a great profession and I love what I am doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment